You are here

Walter Taylor History

Walter Taylor was born in England in 1872 and came to Australia with his family when he was 10 years old.
 
After a stint with the railways, he became an engineer for the Indooroopilly Toll Bridge Company. The bridge, which bears his name (which was originally the Indooroopilly Toll Bridge) became a vital link between the north and south areas of the Ward.
 
Some other Walter Taylor projects included work at Brisbane Boys College, Royal Brisbane Hospital, the RSL club in Elizabeth Street and the Uniting Church at Graceville.
 
There were no “suburbs” in the early days, and the whole area was known as West Oxley. It was first explored by John Oxley in the 1820’s when still part of New South Wales. The area stretched from the road to Ipswich down to Canoe Creek (now Oxley Creek). The area was settled early in the 1850’s with its main economy being derived from pine and other timbers from the natural forest.
 
When Queensland become a separate colony in 1859, the area was divided into 30-40 acre blocks, and sold for around 1 pound per acre! The new farmers cleared the land to graze cattle and sheep and later planted crops, such as maize, potatoes and sugar. The produce from the area was taken to the markets (in Brisbane and Ipswich) by boat. There were no bridges across the river in those days!
 
The first school was opened in the area in 1863 and the suburbs of Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood and Corinda gradually began to take shape.

Taxonomy upgrade extras: